Children's Activity Leader (Part-time)
July 11, 2014
The Second Step (TSS) seeks to break the cycle of domestic violence, one family at a time, by providing services to women and their children that enable them to remain free from abusive relationships. Our two transitional residences and Community Program provide and connect families with a broad range of services and referrals including transitional housing, on-site therapeutic Afterschool program, job training and placement, legal services, parenting support, medical/dental care and psychological counseling.
The Children’s Activity Leader is a position with a high degree of direct interaction with children and an emphasis on providing opportunities for positive, pro-social development. Seated in the transitional housing residences, this position assists in the on-site therapeutic Afterschool program. In conjunction with the Afterschool Coordinator, the Children’s Activity Leader supervises free and structured play that provides children with a variety of new experiences, including creative self exploration and opportunities to learn and practice problem solving skills.
Hours: 25 Hours a week. Typically 12-5:30 or 2-6:30pm, depending on the day, Monday –Friday.
Specific Duties and Responsibilities:
1. Assist with on-site therapeutic Afterschool program
· Assist with homework and other educational and therapeutic activities alongside the Afterschool Coordinator and Afterschool Teacher
· Help implement tailored Afterschool curriculum
· Assist in implementing therapeutic strategies for individual children in the Afterschool
· Participate in clinical supervision with Afterschool team
· Create and maintain a safe and nurturing environment for children in the Afterschool
· Demonstrate pro-social conflict resolution strategies
· Communicate with parents, children and colleagues in a positive and professional manner
2. Provide child care when needed
3. Attend to other Second Step priorities as needed or assigned.
· Energy, enthusiasm, and passion
· Flexibility, ability to work well under pressure and leadership experience
· Two-three years of professional work experience
· Bachelor’s degree preferred
· Demonstrated experience working with school-aged children
· Experience working with survivors of domestic violence helpful
Benefits: This is a part-time position (25 hours a week). Compensation is $15/hour.
Minorities and bilingual candidates encouraged to apply.
The Second Step is an equal opportunity/ affirmative action employer.
If interested, please email your cover letter and resume to: Remy Springer, Therapeutic Afterschool Program Coordinator- firstname.lastname@example.org or send by mail: P.O. Box 600223, Newtonville, MA 02460
Please direct your application to email@example.comBack to List »